Monday, May 5, 2008

OUR FIRST "SPUD"


Well, we got our first letter from The Missionary. Mailed his second day, May 1st. Dad's parents called his mission letters "Chacos" -that was one of his areas in Argentina. We called Scott's letters "Skippies" from the Albanian name for their country: Shkiperia -I spelled that phonetically. Sorry Scott. So Dad thought we should call Elder Harris's letters "spuds" for his mission's sake. Well, here it is if you want to read it:
Dear Mom and Dad,
This is just a quick note to let you know that all is well and that I'm getting accustomed to the MTC. So far so good! My companion is Elder Turner from Richfield, UT [Dad's first comp in Argentina was also from there]. He's is a nice young kid and he is my Senior Companion because...I was made District Leader! What a humbling calling. It's not like I'm already dizzy from all the changes I'm experiencing. We met our Zone Leaders and our Branch President. His name is Pres. Boyer. Everyone is overwhelmingly nice and the food is good. [Dad wonders if they told him to say that.] For dinner we had chicken cordon bleu! Also, it turns out I'm not Eldest Harris. One of the other Elders in our room is 25 as well! what are the odds? Same mission and all! well, the Church is true, if for no other reason than the fact that it is so well organized and designed. Nothing short of inspiration from the Spirit could produce something like this. That, and of course the overwhelming Spirit bearing witness of the truth of this work. Well, I'll write more on Tuesday since that is the proscribed day for letter writing. Today being the exception. Just now two Elders knocked on our door and bore their testimony in Laotian. What a wonder! Well, I'll write again on Tuesday. I Love you both very much!!! Elder Harris

5 comments:

Nancy said...

The picture has nothing to do with my post but figured you all wanted to see one. I don't have any missionary pics on my computer. Yes, I'm still figuring all this out. I hope to put up the weather for all our kids on a sidebar and some other stuff.

Scott said...

Mom, do you know if Kyle can email? If so, will you send his email address to me.

emily said...

Ohhhh, I never thought a spud could bring tears to my eyes! What an awesome letter. I think maybe an alien took over my brother? Very cool, I hope you post more.

Amber said...

I loved the letter. It's nice to hear he is doing good, I knew he would be but it is still neat to read it in his words.

Michelle said...

That was great, I love all the nicknames for all the different missionary letters.