Monday, July 13, 2009

Oh California!

Located 30 miles south of San Francisco, Filoli is an historic site of the National Trust for Historic Preservation and one of the finest remaining country estates of the early 20th century. So says their website. I didn't even know this place existed. Sarah, Lou and I toured the beautiful home and grounds on our Wednesday together in early July. I forgot who built it and why. It opened to the public around 1978 for the usual tax and maintenance reasons. The wing chair in the library is from 1690 and still has the original upholstery fabric. In the same room is a rug that belonged to Queen Elizabeth. The owners collected a lot of stuff in England. The home was constructed in the early 19th century.








The movie, Heaven Can Wait, with Warren Beaty was filmed here. The ballroom was set up as his gym where he practiced football. Now I want to see that movie again.

The stove area was an interesting mix of probably the original cooking surfaces, ovens and giant range hood juxtaposed with a 1970's era double oven on the right. Not charming.

4 comments:

Mom Louisa said...

Looks like you had a nice time, have fun in FL this week. We are in a contract on our house in TX, so far it is all going well...

emily said...

Wow! Wish i could have seen that sometime. very interesting. you know how i love old houses...

Jennifer said...

I have got to go there!

Joe said...

Where's the home theater?