heheheh...
oh i guess that i didn't mention about my lunch with Joe. let's just say that i wanted to leave it so i had some more things to talk about this week, but it turns out that there is plenty to talk about anyway.
so, here's how it went down: in the morning time, elder busath answered the phone, and his one-sided conversation was
"hello, this is elder busath...no, elder elder busath... elder harris? yeah, he's over here."
then he hands the phone over to me and this is some of the dialogue:
me: hello, this is elder Harris.voice: elder Harris! this is Joe!me: Joe...?voice: your brother, Joe... you know, like, your brother.me: Joe?! how-- what-- how did you get this number?!
anyway, i sure was astonished to hear from him, but i told him to call up president and see if he was able to have lunch with us, and then to call back. sure enough, he called back and said that president said yes. he picked us up from our apartment, and we went to craigo's, a pizza buffet. it was sure great to see him, it made my day. it made me think, 'wow, i haven't seen anyone from my immediate family for 17 months.' it was a weird feeling. the actual lunch was pretty normal. we talked just like it hadn't been 17 months, and after wards it was just like, "well, we'll see you in a few." it a great boost.
so here's the other news. president asked me to conduct this next zone conference. I'm pretty nervous. talking in church is no big deal, doing trainings for the entire zone is no big deal, giving instruction topics in zone conferences impromptu is no big deal (our zone conferences have 3 zones meet at a time, so about 60+ missionaries); leading music when a general authority is there, singing for a general authority, all of these things are no big deal, but I'm stressed about conducting zone conference. i don't see why the APs can't do it like they always do, but that's OK. i guess it will be good for me. i can just see it now: "president Scott w colton presides at this conference, and he has asked that i, elder Harris, conduct." sheesh. now i know why dad said he would rather speak in church then conduct.
president colton has decided that more responsibility needs to be put on the zone leaders. i guess the "vacation" is over. i enjoy being a zone leader way more than being a district leader. true it's always interesting to be involved in emergency transfers, and when missionaries in the zone get into car accidents, it is up to us to handle everything in a professional, confidant matter. (no one got hurt, but it was a hit and run, and i don't know if the car is totalled yet.) such is the life of a zone leader. we have to be there to make sure that everyone in the zone is taken care of. it's fun though, i like it. being responsible is a pretty good thing. we also get to have private meetings with general authorities when they come to do mission tours, which is pretty cool.
anyway, the church is still very much true. we set a baptism date this week, and we have a couple of promising referrals that we are going to contact. the zone is doing pretty well, and as soon as zone conference is over (it's this Friday) I'll be able to breath a little bit easier. oh yeah, i have to sing at this one too. i do quite a bit of singing these days. in this area I've probably sung in church 5 or 6 times. i like it. anyway, I'll wrap this up, as my thoughts are getting scattered. i love all of you, and will talk to y'all later. thanks for everything that you do!!
love,elder Harris
9 comments:
that's a great letter! I'm sure Kyle, er, Elder Harris will do a great job conducting zone conference. I liked the phone convo, pretty funny.
Mom,
I would have called you right after we had lunch, but I figured it would be fun to let Kyle mention it in his letter. I didn't know it would be a week later though.
um hum, sure Joe!!
I still think the biggest evidence of Kyle's abduction came when he called Relief Society President's Hot. A phrase I was sure he would never utter.
sorry, just realized an apostrophe slipped its way into Presidents.
Kyle's mission seems different than mine. It seems more "grown up." My mission was more like herding cats.
Maybe being abducted by aliens is a great thing;) It has been so neat to watch him grow.
Is his companion's last name really Elder Busath? That is crazy! :)
I meant, is his companion's last name really Busath?
Do you know where he is from? It would be fun for us to find out!
Post a Comment