Wednesday, July 9, 2008

4th of July SPUD

Hill Cumorah, last June, 07




4th of July


Dear Fam,


I know it probably seems like I haven't written you guys for awhile, but our schedule has been shuffled around somewhat. Our P-day has been moved to the Fourth this week and it's all day. At first I was excited that we are having an all day P-day, but now I don't know what to do with all my time. I guess I'll write everyone that I know.





Well, my first transfer is over and I got moved to the Pocatello Central Stake. It's pretty busted in places, and our apt. is the exact opposite of the mansion Elder Barrow and I stayed in. My new companion is from Georgia and is named E. Ashcroft. This is his first time being senior, so it will be a good experience watching him make the adjustment and learning from that. Today has been boring, and I'm ready to go out and do missionary work.





Last transfer Elder Barrow and I had to do a lot of work from scratch-finding and teaching. We didn't even inherit any investigators from the last transfer before. But, we worked at it and we started committing people to baptism. There are 3 dates set, but 2 are with 9 year olds. What happens is you have parents, usually a single parent, who is inactive or something (we use the term"LARC's": less-active/recent converts) whose children aren't baptized yet. Those are kinda like gimmes. But we do have one with a man named Travis, and he has been prepared and he has become converted. It was amazing to watch. I'm definitely going to his baptism on the 10th. He's totally golden, and I'm sure he's going places in the Church. He's 35ish and single, so hopefully he'll find a nice LDS girl to marry.





So concerning LARC's. Convert baptisms, like Travis's are our purpose. There are resources devoted to LARC's (Home teachers/visiting teachers) and resources devoted to nonmembers (Missionaries) Some members think that missionaries are glorified home teachers. I admit I thought LARC work was part of missionary work, but it is only a tiny portion. Home/Visiting teaching is just as important as missionary work. It's easier too, and can be just as rewarding. you follow the same pattern too: teach, Testify, and Invite. It isn't a lesson unless we leave a commitment. The method we use is to 1. Testify, 2. direct question ("will you...?") 3. Promise blessings. Those steps can kind of interchange.








I testify of the importance of home/visiting teaching, and it is the plan set up by the Lord for maintaining the faith of all members. As you continue faithfully to fulfill your roles as HT/VTers, your faith will grow, you will be happier, and you will have more spiritual experiences. Will you do your HT/VT at least once a month, rain or shine, time or not? It will help out the missionary work in your area.








By the way, I'm really excited that you are Ward Missionaries, and I don't doubt you are fulfilling all your callings. I just wanted to show you how that technique works. Use it! It's pretty cool.





Anyway, I'm eating well. I eat chicken out of the can with butter and garlic, grapenuts without sugar, eggs (scramby) and my veggie pills. I take my vitamins and my thyroid pills. All is well with me (but not in Zion if you know what I mean). And the work is moving forward. I miss you both, and I love you both. I appreciate all you have done for me, and the letters and the pictures. God is real. The Atonement is real. Christ's Gospel has been restored in its fullness, and this is it.





Love,





Elder Harris


PS. tell Reid congrats and to write me!!


PPS. smash the dogs for me!





6 comments:

Nancy said...

Anybody know why there are all those spaces between the text of this post??

Joe said...

Mom, there are a bunch of extra line breaks
in the HTML code. Next time you get this when you post I can show you how to manually remove them. To be 100% sure what you are going to get you may want to use the HTML tab in window where you enter text when creating a post.

Nancy said...

If it happens again I'll give you a call!

Amber said...

We need to be better about writing him. Maybe I'll have the kids write something and draw a picture to mail to him. I'm guessing his address is still the same? I'll look for it on one of your earlier posts.

emily said...

That is such a family pose. Kyle by the statue, mom staring off into the distance. A great spud. I will do my VT 100% this month. Can't wait to see you in a few days! I already picked up a bday present for you.

Reid said...

How does a Reid write to a Kyle?