Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Michelle Obama as Marie Antoinette??

. . . . It is the kind of impunity that has been highlighted on the world stage this week by Michelle Obama’s hugely costly trip to Spain, which has prompted a New York Post columnist Andrea Tantaros to dub the First Lady a contemporary Marie Antoinette. As The Telegraph reports, while the Obamas are covering their own vacation expenses such as accommodation, the trip may cost US taxpayers as much as $375,000 in terms of secret service security and flight costs on Air Force Two.
This short but excellent article by Nile Gardiner can be found in the UK's The Telegraph. Here's another great paragraph.
The First Lady’s ill-conceived trip to Marbella and the complete disregard for public opinion and concerns over excessive government spending is symbolic of a far wider problem with the Obama presidency – the overarching disdain for the principles of limited government, individual liberty and free enterprise that have built the United States over the course of nearly two and a half centuries into the most powerful and free nation on earth.

2 comments:

emily said...

Hmmmmm, since I haven't been to the gym, I haven't heard any news in the past few months... I'm not surprised.

Ty said...

A friend of mine just clicked "Like" Michelle Obama on facebook. I am still contemplating unfriending him for that! She is clearly out of touch with reality--remember the $600 ear rings?

Surprisingly though, this vacation didn't bother me that much. I know, it's disappointing. :)