Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Downside of Technology

The fact that you won't want to read this makes the point of the article.

Subtle changes [introduced by technology] are causing great harm to our neurological well-being. Given that adults commonly consume two, three or even more gadgets at once now -- all while carrying on conversations with people – they are beginning to lose their ability to focus and concentrate. ............a phenomenon called "continuous partial attention," a state of divided attention which leaves people unable to perform tasks that require concentration. Worse, it leaves its victims less and less able to connect with and empathize with each other, they said.
"When our minds partially attend, and do so continuously, we scan for an opportunity for any type of contact at every given moment," "(People) no longer have time to reflect, contemplate, or make thoughtful decisions. Instead, they exist in a sense of constant crisis -- on alert for a new contact or bit of exciting news or information at any moment." Under that kind of stress, the brain secretes cortisol and adrenaline, creating a temporary high followed by depression, leading to something the authors call "techno-brain burnout."


In children, the effects can be worse. When face-to-face contact is replaced by excessive digital media, a child's neural circuits can atrophy and the brain may not develop normal interactive social skills.
"Several studies in both children and adults ... tie frequent technology use to conditions such as ADD, ADHD, autism, depression, anxiety and even sociopathic behavior," they said.

I guess I should get off this computer!

2 comments:

emily said...

Hmmm, well I know that when I can't devote time to a specific activity (sewing, cleaning) and I will be constantly interrupted I choose not to do it, and I just sit on the computer instead. Maybe that's not so technologically related, maybe it's just perfectionism and laziness.
Winter is always a bad time for tv, computer etc.

Joe said...

At least now I have a name for my behavior. Wait...What was I talking about? I got side-tracked.