Are you enjoying these pictures from Grandma Harris's birthday party? Yeah, I brought the camera and forgot to take any pictures. I'm so mad. Well, Dad will have to take some pictures of Grandma next week.
Anyway, we got together with Leslie, Dickie, along with the birthday girl and had Mexican food and cake. Boy, Grandma's plate was piled high and she finished off the whole thing. She's hanging in there pretty well even though she's shrinking by the minute.
Here are some interesting facts about her. She worked as a nurse during World War II and up until her kids were born. She met her husband on a blind date and he proposed that same night. She said they would wait a year and see how they felt. So one year later they met again for only the second time and she said "yes".
Her Dad died when she was 4 years old. Her mom died of breast cancer around the time of her marriage in 1945. All of her siblings have now past on. She is the only remaining of the 2 brothers and 4 sisters. She was the 3rd oldest (or close to that). She grew up a good part of her young years in a house with no indoor plumbing or electricity in a tiny town called Dunbar in southwestern Pennsylvania. It's a coal mining town about an hour from Pittsburgh. Well, that's all I can think of at the moment and this was off the top of my head somewhat.
What do you say to someone turning 92? Here's to another 92? At the rate she's going there's bound to be another birthday next year!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Sorry abt the camera. But I liked the interesting facts. I think I knew them all except for the fact that she said yes on the 2nd meeting a year later. Maybe we can make it for the next bday. mexican food sounds good!
Happy Birthday Grandma Harris! Scott has seen this post and attaches his seal of approval.
I'm still laughing about the 2nd meeting and proposal, sounds a little like my grandparents.
I can't believe she is 92 and still able to do so much. It is so nice you guys live so close to her now, I'm sure she is loving that.
Hope Jim had a good Fathers day!
Post a Comment